Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Time to slay this beast


   When I signed up for my race a few months ago, it seemed so far away. Now...IT'S HERE! I'll be running 40 miles on Saturday and this will be my longest distance so far.

What: Uwharrie Mountain Run - 8, 20, and 40 mile distances
Where: Ophir, NC
When: Feb 4th

TRAIL WARNINGS!
Running the Uwharrie Trail is a true adventure that requires intense concentration. The national forest terrain is hilly and the trail is treacherous. Fallen leaves conceal rocks, roots, sticks, and holes. Expect to trip and fall at least once during the day. If you turn an ankle, keep moving. Dutchman’s Creek flows along part of the trail and runners will enjoy numerous stream crossings, which may mean wet feet if you aren’t careful.




   The course is out 20 and back with aid stations every 3 miles. I'll only carry one hand-held water bottle, some GUs, Sport Beans and probably a couple mini Clif bars. We can have a drop bag which we can access at the half-way point. I'm staying the night close to the race and bringing my own pasta dinner so as not to upset the bello. The race starts at 7:00 so I'll be getting up pretty early to eat some pita with PB and honey and probably some oatmeal.


   I did a lot of last minute training but I'm ready to slay this beast. And I say slay because this isn't a stroll around the house in your underwear. Stuff is about to get real. I've taken it REALLY easy this week and now I'm just antsy. The weather websites have been back and forth on whether or not it's going to rain that day and if it's going to be a high in the 50's or 60's. Right now it looks like this:



I'm STOKED and just ready to hit the trails! RR to follow....

"Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." ~ Dean Karnazes


LIVESTRONG!

1 comment:

  1. good luck! You sound excited about doing the 40. I'm feeling slightly terrified

    ReplyDelete